Pantry Beauty Cures



Over the past year I've been researching and learning more about natural remedies to common ailments and just how common items we have in our pantry help with overall heath in general.

As an acne sufferer, I finally quit all the Rx prescribed by the doctor that over the long term weren't good for me. I also learned that some of the OTC acne treatments may help with acne, but have really harsh ingredients for your skin overall, so I gave that up too. I'll chronicle my experience with some of these things at a later date. Right now, I want to share my holy grail items that i adore for their wonderful benefits for the body that have worked for me.

Ginger
I was a bit slow in getting on this bandwagon. I received a Go Ginger moisturizer sample during a giveaway they had and my skin looked awesome...no breakouts...nothing. I ran out and didn't replenish and a few
months later my skin started to erupt. Now, I'm not saying this product was keeping the acne at bay entirely but what I have come to realize is the power and goodness of ginger.

Why is so great: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties among other things. So it can be used to treat inflammation from a myriad of sources. Ginger aids in digestion and helps accelerate the removal of toxins from the body. It's super high in Vitamin C and helps soften the skin and lessen signs of aging.  It is also thought that ginger can help with ovarian cancer, the prevention and the treatment.

How I use it: Ginger Tea. Twice a day I make ginger tea which I steep peeled and chopped ginger pieces in hot water. I may add lemon and/or honey depending on my mood. Ginger can also be applied directly to acne to help lessen inflammation.

Side Note: I need to get some more of that Go Ginger moisturizer! It's really good stuff.

Lemon
Lemon has been a mainstay of mine for quite sometime. Its a great sweeter and can be used in face and hair the power of the lemon, check it out!
masks. It boosts the immune system, cleanses the liver and helps fight infection. Here's a great article on

How I use it: In water every morning. I use it in my ginger tea often. I use it in my honey facial mask. I use it alone to help clear up dark spots on my skin from acne scarring. Yes, lemon juice can lighten marks, but please don't let your skin be exposed to the sun. I use it a lot during winter and when I'm in the house. If you expose your skin to sun after using lemon on it, there could be more harm done that good.  Be aware. I use only real lemons, not juice out of the bottle. If you can swing it (and you find a sale) opt for organic.


Honey
Yassss honey! Honey is EVERYTHANG! Yes, "thang"!  No, not the honey out of the little honey bottle that you can get for a buck. That stuff isn't raw 100 percent honey. Here you want to spend a bit more for raw honey that you can find at your local grocery or health food store.  I've heard the benefits of Manuka honey praised to the heavens, and at the price I haven't coughed up the funds to purchase it. I will give it a shot just to see if its worth the hype.  I recommend grabbing the raw honey it may cost anywhere from $5-$15, but its worth it. Honey helps prevent cancer and heart disease. It is also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal which is great for the fight against acne. There are many varieties of honey that have their own benefits. Honey is great for hair and skin as well. Honey helps retain moisture and softens and smooths hair. Same for skin, plus since its
anti bacterial it can attack the crap that helps to cause acne!

How I use it: I use a honey and lemon mask on my skin 1x a day right now after washing. Fresh lemon and raw honey and let it set sometimes up to 30 minutes, no less than 15 and rinse off with cold water. My skin loves it and though it hasn't cleared up my acne totally, there has been a great improvement to which I contribute this concoction.  I'm a hair mask junkie and I use honey in my deep conditioning hair mask that I make.  I also use honey in my green smoothies, in my tea and sometimes I'll just take a big spoonful and swallow just for the health benefits.  Honey is my liquid gold!


I'd highly recommend these good for you and good to you items to add to your beauty regime and in your dietary intake. I have a feeling I'll be posting more about these items quite often.  Next time, I'll be talking about more pantry beauty cures including Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut Oil.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

About Me

linkie ♥

Blog contents © Everyday Fabulous 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.